|Abstract: ||本論文是以「上帝國宣教」(Missio Dei)為宣教神學的核心，並以台灣基督長老教會的「整全宣教六面向」來說明與探討高牧師一生的服事與宣教。
上帝國宣教(Missio Dei)是以三一上帝為宣教的中心，宣教是上帝本身的作為，我們是上帝所差遣的，是夥伴、是參與者。高牧師一生服事與宣教可分為三個階段(一) 25歲，年輕之始，在原住民中，當山地巡迴傳道師及從事玉山神學院教育。 (二)42歲，中年以後，任長老教會總會總幹事，在教會、社會領域中服事與宣教。(三)61歲，退休以後，在三個社會、公民團體中服事與宣教。本文將高牧師一生的各階段的服事與宣教，分別以六個面向來說明與探討，現將結論略述如下：
This paper is based on “Missio Dei” as the core of missionary theology and seeks to use the “six dimensions of holistic mission” of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) to explain and explore Rev. Kao’s service and mission during his life.
“Missio Dei” is based on the Triune God as the core of the mission. Mission is the work of God. We, as participants and partners, are called and sent by God.
Rev. Kao’s service and mission during his life can be divided into three main phases: First, at age 25, he began his missional work serving as an evangelist among the aboriginal people of Taiwan. During this time he also worked for theological education at the Yu-shan Theological College and Seminary. Second, at age 42, he served as General Secretary of PCT, and offered himself to the church and the society. Finally, at age 61, after retirement, he did service and mission in three societal and civil organizations. This paper explores and interprets the service and mission of Rev. Kao’s life in relation to PCT’s “six dimensions of holistic mission”.
1. Proclaiming the Gospel: Rev. Kao did evangelism work in the mountain areas and engaged in theological education, which was his primary mission task. In the field of church and society, the three public statements of PCT also gave witness to the gospel. Due to the case of “Hiding Mr. Shih Ming-te,” Rev. Kao was arrested and imprisoned and still did mission work and even led gangsters to Christ. In his final stage, his service and mission actualized in the three social and civil organizations, making them places where the gospel was proclaimed.
2. Nurturing God's Children: His mission work in the mountain areas and engagement in theological education also nurtured God’s children. The three public statements and his imprisonment testified his faith. What he has done in the three social and civil organizations can be the educational material for nurturing God’s children.
3. Serving with Love: He served the aboriginal tribes with a posture of “emptying himself” (Philippians 2:7a). The courageous public statements provided a way for the future of Taiwan. His devotion in the three social and civil organizations promoted social improvement and happy families; all of them are acts of serving with love.
4. Transforming Society: In his term as PCT’s General Secretary, he joined social, democratic movements, issued the three statements mentioned above; then, launched 228 peace movement with social groups. In the three social and civil organizations, he promoted relevant activities in order to transform society.
5. Caring for God's Creation: He treated aboriginal peoples with love and respect. He promoted care of creation and protecting nature in order to maintain the integrity of God’s creation. In his term as PCT’s General Secretary, Taiwanese intellectuals learned about environmental awareness abroad during that time, and began to pay attention to the ecological environment in Taiwan. The churches also started to be aware about environmental issues, held related activities, and care for God's creation.
6. Gospel and Culture: In his mission work, Rev. Kao respected the diverse Taiwanese cultures and languages, especially the aboriginal culture. To this day, the churches within PCT observe and celebrate their Sunday services in over 18 languages. The courses and activities of the three social and civil organizations are connected to local culture and can benefit mission.